"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water
and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the
flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
Jesus Himself was baptized as an adult~
- The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith,
Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
- This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is
preferred before me: for he was before me.
- And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to
Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
- And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending
from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
- And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with
water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and
remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
- And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
In water and the Spirit~
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is
more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the
Holy Spirit and with fire.
Jesus says we must be born again~
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto
thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.